[sword-devel] BPBible 0.1

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 04:47:26 MST 2007

I'm pleased to announce the first release of BPBible, a Bible study
application. BPBible is written in Python, and uses wxPython for the GUI.
It's available in windows binaries and zipped source at

Some of its features are:
Bible application:
First and foremost, BPBible has many of the features you would expect in a
Bible application - Bible, Commentary, and Dictionary support, Bible Search,
Scripture tooltips, verse copying, etc.

Cross verse searching:
BPBible uses a proximity based search, rather than a verse-based search.
This means that a search can cross verse boundaries, giving a more natural
search. It also supports regular expressions and phrases.

Flexible layout:
BPBible uses wxAUI, which lets you rearrange your layout, and will remember
your layout for you.

As this is a first release, there are probably a few bugs. While wxPython
and Python are crossplatform, I do not expect that it will work properly
under Linux, as I have not tested it under Linux for a while. Also, I would
be very surprised if it worked properly on a Mac, as I don't have access to
one to test it on.

I would really love everyone who can to test it and give feedback, so that I
know which areas need improvement.

At the moment it isn't at all internationalized, so various things may not
work as expected in non-english things. (in particular, RToL language
support is not there, due to the limitation of the wxHtml control).

If anyone can think of a better name than BPBible, that
a) doesn't have Sword in the title (too much confusion with eSword)
b) doesn't have any tech-related thing (like pyBible, wxBible, etc)
I would be glad to hear from you.

Future plans include verse list support, adding my gospel harmony viewer to
it, adding installmanager support, a bible words analyzer and allowing book
creation and editing. Other feature suggestions are welcome.

God Bless,
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness,
but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish,
but that all should reach repentance.
2 Peter 3:9 (ESV)