[sword-devel] SwordReader - Experimental Double Buffering added.

David Trotz dtrotzjr at crosswire.org
Thu Dec 13 22:32:32 MST 2007

Hi all,
I have been thinking of ways to improve the amount of time it takes for
the display to show anything when changing the text. In some cases its
as much as 4 seconds! So I decided to take an approach used often in
computer graphics, double buffering. In our case the buffer is an html
page. I have implemented a system with two html displays, so that when
there are 1500 characters ready to be processed I immediately show the
text on the screen using the first html display, meanwhile I continue to
load the rest of the text and once it is done I hide the first html page
and show the other one which has the entire text in it. This approach is
highly experimental and has kinks in it. I broke the verse scrolling but
will fix it soon, I wanted to see how much faster this really is. It is
definitely faster. Now that I know it will help I will begin the process
of smoothing out my kinks. The code is in subversion.
--
In Christ,
David Trotz