[sword-devel] SwordReader .......

Barry Drake b.drake at ntlworld.com
Mon Dec 10 11:17:43 MST 2007

Hi there ..........

I've done a first update on the SwordReader web pages at
http://www.crosswire.org/sword/swordreader/ and placed an up-to-date
installer for the starter kit up there.  It really needs a bit more work
on the pages, but at least it's out there and I can make the pages a bit
prettier in due course.  Or if anyone else wants to do it, feel free - I
won't be offended.  Any errors in the pages, or any non-Sword
construction you don't like, please say!!!  This is my first attempt.

Things the new version does:  Most of it auto-flips between Landscape
and Portrait (Thanks David Trotz).  New version displays footnotes just
fine if they have no Greek or Hebrew in them.  Will work in any
directory provided the modules are correctly pathed in Sword-fashion.

Lynn Allan says the .exe self-installer may not work on some devices.
If this is a problem, I'll place a self-installing .cab file up there
alongside the .exe.

What it won't do (yet).  Strongs, Morphs and X-refs.  Most of the code
for these is in there in the original, but broken.  If you want the
original, I've got it.

What it needs to do: Have two modules that can be brought up on two text
window tabs or buttons for comparison (for English plus A.N.Other or for
bible plus commentary).  Also, a SmartPhone version is needed.  For
this, the present use of 'MenuBar' in a resource file has to be replaced
with 'hard wired' buttons or menus.  We also need a nice Windows install
manager based on the Sword Install Manager, but feeding the module files
straight to the device via Active Sync.  I now know that this is
possible.  The reality might take a little longer.

God bless,
Barry

-- From Barry Drake (The Revd) minister of the Netherfield United Reformed church, Nottingham see http://www.jesusinnetherfield.org.uk for our church homepages).

Replies - b.drake at ntlworld.com