[sword-devel] Firefox front-end

Daniel Blake danblake at tcdr.com
Mon Dec 10 09:35:19 MST 2007

Sounds interesting, Brian.  Reading your post reminded me of a
discussion earlier this year.  I searched and found the thread I
remembered.  It talks about individually implemented Sword protocols.

I was going to put a link to the thread in the sword-devel Archives
<http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-devel/> but I found the March
2007 archive incomplete.
*"Archived on:* /Mon Mar 12 13:42:02 MST 2007/" so everything after that
isn't available.

If you still have them locally, look for the subject "Sword URL" on
3/13/2007.  It was an off shoot of the subject "dynamic versification"

Specifically it mentions these implementations.
MacSword - sword://
"MacSword has installed a protocol handler into the Safari web browser
so that the sword:// urls are passed off to MacSword, starting it if it
is not running, rather than displaying them in the browser. (It doesn't
work very well and I can get it to crash MacSword)"

JSword - bible://
"With JSword, I have played with embedding IE and FireFox as the display
engine for BibleDesktop."

GnomeSword - sword://
"GS understands "sword://ModuleName/KeyIntoThatModule" where the key is
obviously a verse reference for Bibles and commentaries, but just as
easily is a treekey for genbooks and lexdicts."

Hope this is helpful.
Daniel Blake