[sword-devel] Best way to encode interlinear texts in OSIS?

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Thu Aug 9 11:56:51 MST 2007

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:

> DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> writes:
> > Different question:
> > How would one display an interlinear in HTML?
> > The key requirement is that a line of stacked text would naturally wrap,
> > responding to window resizes in an expected way.
>
> GnomeSword has solved this problem, though for Strong's and morph, not
> for interlinear purposes.  Troy has suggested I look into the
> possibility of an actual dynamic interlinear implementation using KJV's
> Strong's with src="" data, but I'm afraid my masochism has limits.  And
> it would be CPU-expensive.

Most programs show Strong's numbers etc. between the words which is ugly
and hard to read. True interlinear is much better. But BibleTime already
has a different kind of solution for Strong's numbers: it gives the
Strong's entry in "mag" view when user hovers the mouse over the word.

I want to take this a bit further. If KJV and TR are shown parallel the
corresponding words would be highlighted in both texts. It can be any
combination of words, like two English and three Greek words.

If I am still working with BibleTime after the KDE4 port I will research
this and try to implement it.

BTW, ESV has a nice "reverse interlinear" paper version. See how they
have answered some interlinearity problems:
http://www.gnpcb.org/assets/products/excerpts/158134628X.1.pdf

(BTW2: sadly there is no link to us from that page though there are
links to other Bible applications.)

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland