[sword-devel] Sword OSIS quotation mark handling question

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Mon Apr 30 09:38:38 MST 2007

One thing I have to observe is that even your mail message here came
across claiming a character set of "windows-1252".  There is also
-1251 and possibly a couple others.  These are very nonstandard,
Microsoft-only encodings where \221 thru \227 (in particular) have
quotation/apostrophe/ellipsis manifestations that cannot be counted on
outside of an extremely MSWindows-centric world.  (My mailer is happy
enough to provide me with a feature known as "treat dumbquotes" to
convert such windows-125x characters into iso-8859 on demand.)

One part of any automated module production process must necessarily
be eliminating this extreme platform sensitivity, using something
appropriate, generally in UTF-8, I suppose (since that seems to be
where such things have headed).