[sword-devel] Searching

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Mon Apr 2 01:21:33 MST 2007

If you run indexing on your text, you can use the Lucene search syntax
for more complex searches. In the search window, select your translation
then click the Create Index button.

Now you can use the Optimized Search option. See a brief description of
the search syntax here:
http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/queryparsersyntax.html

To do the searches you describe:

bapt* 		will give you all verses with words starting with bapt-

To exclude verses with the word "baptist" in them, you can use either of:
bapt* NOT baptist
bapt* -baptist

But bear in mind that his is not the same as a search for all verses
that have a word beginning with bapt- other than baptist since "John the
Baptist went baptizing" would be excluded by those two searches.

--Chris