[sword-devel] HowTo: paragraph marks in Bible modules

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue May 30 07:54:07 MST 2006

Jónatas Ferreira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm preparing (with the help from a friend) new portuguese Bible
> modules. (And trying to gain permition to distribute them.)
>
> Is there a way of including paragraph marks that will be respected by
> sword inside a Bible module?
It all depends on what you mean by a paragraph mark and what you mean by
respected?

If all you want is a ¶, you can encode the unicode character directly in
the text at the position you want it to appear.
Or you can use <milestone type="x-p" marker="¶"/> (which will be
supported when the KJV 2006 effort is fully supported)

If you mean that the paragraph will be appropriately surrounded by
whitespace, then the marker is may not be sufficient. You may also need
to use markup. The proper way is to surround the paragraph with <p> ...
paragraph) Also note there is a bug in osis2mod that does not allow for
verses to be surrounded by paragraphs as in
of verse elements are ignored.

Because of these limitations I have seen two prevalent work arounds
which replace <p> tags with line breaks. One uses pairs of  <milestone
type="line"/> and the other uses pairs of <lb/> where a paragraph end
would be.