[sword-devel] Re: Re: Re: Offer help (portuguese module?)

Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA leandro at dutra.fastmail.fm
Sun May 28 17:41:06 MST 2006

On Fri, 05 May 2006 06:11:31 -0300, DArio Matos wrote:

> I had this same discussion with Leandro Dutra back in 2004/2005, but then
> was my word against him,  so it never went anywhere.

      	This is what so infuriates me when dealing with people on the
Net, but specially fellow Brazilians.  ¿Is it so hard to avoid the
personal and go for the facts?  Specifically, ¿is it so hard to
procure a copy of Versão Revisada to check against PorAA?

> Since then, I've
> tried to trace down how many different "Almeida" versions is out there "in
> the wild", and up till now I've found at least eight different versions
> (I'm still collecting them as personally I have a hard copy of only three
> of them: Almeida Revista e Corrigida, Almeida Revista e Atualizada,
> Almeida Contemporânea).

  	¿Could you list your findings?, please.  ¿Did you ever found
about Versão Revisada?, at least.

> I'd like to know if such a research has ever been officially made, on how
> many different versions of this very same translation (that is, the
> Almeida translation), the main differences between them (translation
> options, doctrine, etc), their release date, their copyright holders, etc.

  	I could do a write-up here, if someone will commit to mark it
up in HTML and publish it or send it back for me to publish it.

      	I say it in such rash terms because I am fed up with aligning
my facts carefully only to seem them ignored.  So having a write-up
would be useful, but only if it can serve as public (meaning on the
Web, not only in list archives) reference.

> Actually, I thik it would be easier to make a new version of an
> Almeida-like portuguese translation of the Bible, released under GPL or
> other public license - that is, to make an entirely new  "Almeida Livre" -
> than to gain authorisation to distribute one copyrighted Almeida Bible on
> the Net.

	You clearly have no idea on how hard is to translate the
Bible.

	Also, even to revise such an old text such as the last Almeida
public domain versions is no minor task.  Easier would be to start
from Versão Brasileira, if one can digitise it.

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA     +55 (11) 5685 2219
http://br.geocities.com./lgcdutra/        +55 (11) 9406 7191
mailto:leandro at dutra.fastmail.fm
xmpp:leandrod at jabber.org                              BRASIL