[sword-devel] Jonah 1.17 / 2.1

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 23 11:33:27 MST 2006

Jonathon Blake wrote:
> David wrote:
>> How can we get osis2mod to recognize true variations in versification, and not "standardize" everything?
> IIRC, there is a tag for the OSIS headers, that states what v11n
> scheme is being used.  If there isn't one, there should be. Both CROSS
> and STEP have such a flag.
> [It probably claims to be "bible version", rather than v11n scheme".
> However it is there for the software to know what v11n scheme to use.

In the OSIS document, reference systems for a work are specified with
And it contains something like Bible.KJV.

OSIS has predefined the following reference systems (quoting from the
OSIS manual):
• NRSVA New Revised Standard Version with Apocrypha
• NA27 Nestle-Aland, 27th Edition of the Greek New Testament
• KJV King James Version or Authorized Version (AV)
• LXX Septuagint
• MT Masoretic Text. Hebrew tradition varies in several respects, the
best known being that it numbers what is given as a title for Psalms in
most English translations as verse 1, and the beginning of the psalm in
such a translation as verse 2.
• SamPent the Samaritan Pentateuch used a quite different numbering system.
• Synodal Russian
• Vugl Vulgate
• Loeb This system is used for most classical literature, though many
major works have other systems as well.

I think the proper usage is something like (This is from the kjv2006
project that I am working on):
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<osisText osisIDWork="KJV" osisRefWork="defaultReferenceScheme"
  <work osisWork="KJV">
    <title>King James Version (1769) with Strongs Numbers and
    <identifier type="OSIS">Bible.KJV</identifier>
  <work osisWork="defaultReferenceScheme">
  <work osisWork="strong">
  <work osisWork="robinson">
  <work osisWork="strongMorph">

This defines that the KJV is using the work called
"defaultReferenceScheme" for its OSIS reference scheme.
(I think it could have been KJV work element as well, but I defined a
separate one, following the mod2osis example.)
And it also declares that it has references to three other works, each
with its own reference scheme.
(These probably could have been <refSystem>Dictionary</refSystem>.
Probably each dictionary entry is <div type="entry" osisID="xxx">...</div>)

> However, this still gets back to the issue that the various front ends
> for The Sword Project need to know what to do when it sees that flag.
> Coding this function can get very messy, very fast.

I don't see much of a need for knowing the reference system unless one
is going to do parallel or interlinear displays. See my other post for a
solution that is independent of the reference system for search and