[sword-devel] Jonah 1.17 / 2.1

Raphaël Pinson raphink at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 17:44:12 MST 2006

Hello,

I have begun to convert David Martin and Ostervald French versions of the
Bible to OSIS, so as to create Sword modules with them.
Doing that, I came across some issues. One of them is with Jonah 1.17 / 2.1.

When building the Sword module for Jonah (from the Ostervald 1996 version), I
got a warning from osis2mod, saying it was moving Jonah 2.11 back to 2.10. So
I checked these verses, and indeed there is no such verse as Jonah 2.11 in
KJV. It is numbered 2.10 instead. This is due to the fact that in KJV, there
is a 1.17 verse, that is numbered 2.1 in Ostervald.

In both the printed French Bibles I have here (NBS - Revision of the LSG, a
trustable translation based directly on the Hebrew and Greek texts - and TOB
- a modern ecumenical translation also based on original texts), I have a
2.11 verse and thus no 1.17.

Now I was wondering about that, cause of course if I try to make a parallel
between several versions in BibleTime, they don't match on these verses... so
I began to search deeper... going back to the source...

Both WLC and my personal Hebrew TNK (a German version from the beginning of
the century) have 2.11, and no 1.17. Could the KJV be wrong on this?

How is it possible to keep the numbering scheme with 2.11 verse and no 1.17 in
Sword modules, given that osis2mod automatically removes 2.11?

<><

Raphaël

--
Raphaël Pinson