[sword-devel] KJV2006 progress report
Troy A. Griffitts
scribe at crosswire.org
Wed Mar 8 14:13:20 MST 2006
> I think making this change is kind of like capitalizing personal
> pronouns for God ;) It is not part of the original. The original KJV and
> current printed copies displays a ¶ symbol at these locations. It seems
> that it is a translation of a Hebrew scripture tradition. To wrap up the
> text with <p>...</p> differs from the original. The original KJV did not
> have paragraphs beyond these marks.
I think we agree, if I understand you correctly. I might not, but
that's ok :) Capitalizing personal pronouns for God is very much a
translation choice. It may be merely out of respect or it may reflect
very hard original language evidence for the anticedent of the pronoun.
In either case, our job is to preserve the author's (note my
NON-CAPITALIZATION of 'author') wishes, not what we feel is best
practice for translation.
All this to say if when you say above, "It is not part of the original,"
you mean it is not part of the original KJV document. Then I
whole-heartedly agree with you.
I would hold to all these same points regarding <p>. And I think you
would too, right?
PS. I'm sorry; I'm going on about 3 hours of sleep due to emergencies
>>>> 8) deleted all <resp> elements as this has never been part of the
>>>> OSIS standard. resp is a global attribute. I could merge it with the
>>>> preceding <note type="x-strongsMarkup">....</note> However, I think
>>>> these "notes" should be removed as well.
>> I agree whole-heartedly with Chris on this one. Please preserve all
>> data in the KJV2003 text. We're still hoping to do a proof pass of
>> the strongs markup, and the notes still need to be reviewed on many of
>> these entries. Anyone is welcome to strip them out if they don't need
>> them for their purposes.
> I'll change the <resp> elements to <milestone type="x-resp" resp="..."/>
> if that works for you. Or something else that is ignored by the
> consuming apps.
>> It is important not to remove any <w> data. We can currently assert
>> that for every word in the original base greek text (in the KJV2003
>> directory on the server), there is exactly one greek word tag in the
>> corresponding verse of the KJV text. It may not be in the correct
>> place, surrounding the correct words, but there is still guaranteed a
>> 1 to 1 relationship.
> I understand your goal and I agree with it. I have checked in the
> KJV2003 as it would have been submitted to osis2mod. I am making all
> changes by program so that it is a repeatable process from the "original
> KJV2003". Each change can be reviewed for correctness. Today, there are
> 81 of these.
> However, there are verses where the taggers notes expressed frustration
> with the tagging tool. And these verses' OSIS is just terrible.
> Sometimes splitting words into letters and tagging parts of words with
> <w>. In some places a <w src="n"> is repeated several times and without
> the use of splitID.
> I'm thinking that what you are really wanting is that for a verse today
> that has src="1" to src="x" that a <w> tag be preserved for each of
> these. And if there are multiple, <w src="y">, neither having a splitID
> and one surrounding text and the other not, that the ones not
> surrounding text are in error.
> If there are multiple <w src="s"></w> not having a splitID and none
> having text, then only one needs to be preserved.
> I have seen a situation where we have in a verse <w src="x"
> lemma="a">...</w> and <w src="x" lemma="b">...</w>. That is, the same
> word "src" is repeated, no splitID is present and two different strongs
> numbers are used. I can't do anything with these programmatically, but I
> would guess that this is an error.
>> The source of our base Greek text (Maurice Robinson's stuff) has been
>> updated with many corrections since we started the project, and we
>> should be able to programmatically determine the delta between our
>> version and the latest, and create a 'patch' for the KJV2003 text-- or
>> at least a hit list of verses people need to review and adjust tags.
> Since I have tagged the KJV2003 in SVN this should be possible. I think
> that it may be possible with KJV2006 when I am done, though XSLT may
> need to be applied first.
>> Again, thank you so much for all the work! I'm really excited this
>> text is moving forward. There is so much valuable data captured and
>> making it more usable, programmatically, should enhance a number of
>> Bible projects who depend on a good free English text sync'd to the
> You are welcomed! My pleasure!
> sword-devel mailing list: sword-devel at crosswire.org
> Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at above page
More information about the sword-devel