[sword-devel] BibleCS Installer

L.Allan-pbio paraclete at bibleinverse.org
Mon Mar 6 09:28:16 MST 2006

Thanks for the update. Hope you don't mind the "cage rattling".

My impression is that the uninstallers for the front-end apps can and should
ignore removal of modules. As the military phrase goes, "that is above my
pay grade." <b>

The intention may be for the InstallManager to be responsible for removal of
most (all?) of the installed modules. Troy G would be the one to check with
on the specifics, but I think that the uninstallers for the actual apps can
pretty much ignore this complicated task. There is lots that can go wrong
with removing modules.

Perhaps it is sufficient for the application uninstallers to have a checkbox
on the "components" page (or the Finish page?) whether to "launch" the
InstallManager? The functionality of the application's uninstaller would be
otherwise limited to removal of its specific executable(s), help files,
.conf files, registry entries, environment variables, icons, StartMenu
entries, .ini files, jar files, etc. but NOT the modules.

Unless it involves a pda, today's huge hard drives make it a relatively
lower priority to "clean up" everything during an uninstall. My experience
is that the fussy reviewers at CNet/Download.com and TuCows pay attention to
the thoroughness of the uninstaller, but most end-users may not care if some
resources get left installed if they uninstall the app.

It would still be possible to do a thorough uninstall and "blow away" every
file, module, registry entry, etc, but the default "flow" of the uninstaller
for a specific front-end would leave modules and some CrossWire "family"
registry entries. There should be enough "bread crumbs" left for a
subsequent installation to be able to find a "sane" place to install to
facilitate module sharing.

IMHO, I think the difficulty of the uninstaller trying to figure out all the
combinations and permutations, and then making the choices clear/unambiguous
to the end-user about what they can and/or could and/or should do are not
worth the effort, and unlikely to be "bullet-proof".

Here is a scenario:  a person has been using BibleCS sword.exe and decides
to try LcdBible and BibleStudy and BibleDesktop. The modules are "sort of"
shared, except some apps find the shared resources within the directory
structure (i.e. in the same directory as BibleCS sword.exe which is how
SWMgr::findConfig works now), some use SWORD_PATH, and some have redundant
resources (mods.d and modules in their install directory and KJV has been
installed multiple times, for example).

I would advise against the uninstaller trying to figure out this "hodge
podge" out and attempt to "do the right thing". It seems too likely that
some modules will get unintentionally deleted which interferes with the
operation of other apps.

To me, the problem is that end-users with multiple CrossWire front-end apps
will intend to install a module, and be confused and frustrated when some
front-ends can "see" the module, and some can't.

Perhaps it would be appropriate to have a separate, simple program that
"sniffed around" the registry and certain default locations to detect
redundant modules, such as:
C:\Program Files\CrossWire\The SWORD Project\mod.d
C:\Program Files\CrossWire\LcdBible\mod.d
C:\Program Files\CrossWire\BibleDesktop\mods.d
C:\Program Files\CrossWire\mods.d
C:\Program Files\CrossWire\resources\mods.d
[InstallDir]\mods.d
etc.

and then brought redundancies to the attention of the end-user. Some
redundancies would be intended, especially for developers. Such a capability
could perhaps be part of the InstallManager (the "test" version of the
LcdBible "StarterKit" installer used a very small "proxy" for the
InstallManager to do some of the above and could probably be enhanced
easily. This proxy was mostly to be a small replacement for the large
InstallManager.exe and sword.exe which made the compression for the nsis
installer be slow.)

My 2¢ worth