[sword-devel] .Net/C# and Sword

Jason Turner lefticus at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 07:18:59 MST 2006

I will positively make sure of two things:

1) No win32 specific calls
2) Logic and UI separate

However, I am going to use WIndows.Forms and the "WebBrowser"
interface. I know from having had Biblestudy source publicly available
for almost 3 years now that it is very difficult to get people
interested in contributing when there is a high barrier to entry or a
steep learning curve. I'm sure that the BibleCS guys appreciate this
as well. To be honest, the main reason I started on Biblestudy instead
of working on BibleCS was because I had no experience with Borland's
tools, didn't want to pay for Borland's tools (I believe this was
right before the free versions were released) and didn't have any
interest in learning Borland's tools.

There are probably literally MILLIONS more people that already know
the Windows.Forms API's than know GTK#.

That being said, I don't like Microsoft, thier operating system or
thier business practices (I have read every book on them that I have
gotten my hands on). Which is why points 1 & 2 at the top are
important. It should be easy for someone to come along and make a GTK#
interface, if they want to. Also tho, (the timing of this is
impeccable) on January 13th, the mono project released 1.1.13 with
"Vastly upgraded Windows.Forms implementation" I will do my best to
make sure that whatever I implement stays compatible with thier
Windows.Forms implementation.

God Bless
-Jason

http://emptycrate.com Games, Programming, Travel & other stuff