[sword-devel] virtual modules

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 18 12:32:46 MST 2006

Chris Little wrote:
> We've got a number of what you might call "virtual modules" either
> implemented or desired. I can't speak of other frontends, but BibleCS
> has a "PARALLEL" tab, used to present multiple versions interlinearly.
> I've recently implemented a "NOTES" tab in BibleCS that pulls any
> footnotes in the selected translation and places them in a tab in the
> commentary window. (This was basically for the NET Bible, so that we
> can have a translation & its notes in separate windows, but driven by
> a single module--the way OSIS was meant to be encoded. Now there's
> also talk of a word-by-word verse diff tool, which could likewise be
> presented in its own tab--on par with other modules.
>
> The question I would pose is: does any one have feelings, one way or
> another, of pushing all of this code from the frontends back into the
> API? What I envision is a virtual module that, when polled for a
> specific key, constructs the result from other existing modules using
> (more or less) the same interface as existing modules. Thus new
> frontends and existing ones that don't have the functionality get it
> for free.
If I get a vote, seeing that I am a java programmer, maintaining a
separate API, I say put it in the API. A frontend is not obligated to
use it and could roll its own. So I guess that the other question is
whether other frontends would use it?

I also suggest that this virtual module be expressed as OSIS regardless
of what the underlying encoding.