[sword-devel] Turkish module

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 07:42:18 MST 2006

Greg Hellings wrote:

> This might be a bit naive on my part, but is there a mechanism in the
> Sword library that will tell the front-end that the presented text
> covers multiple verses?  If I set a VerseKey to Genesis 1:2 is there a
> way to retrieve where that entry begins and ends?  For example, if the
> OSIS entry spans from verses one to three, is there a way for the
> front end to determine that from the VerseKey?  Can it call and ask
> beginKey() and endKey() or some such thing where the returned values
> are 1 and 3, even though the program asked for verse 2?  I don't
> remember seeing anything like that in the documentation, but if there
> is such an entry, then that would simplify the application's
> programming end of the representation.

A Sword module has an index of fixed size entries, one for each verse in
the KJV versification scheme. Each entry is essentially an offset and
length in another file. Because one can mathematically compute the
location of an entry from the verse reference, one can seek directly to
that location and read the entry. From looking at a single entry in the
index, it is impossible to know whether it refers to a single verse or
passage.

I think it would be simple enough to look forward and back in the index
to see if the entry refers to a passage. But this may be "costly" for
the average case as it would not be typical for an entry to be part of a
passage rather than a single verse. I don't think this is the right
solution.

Another solution would be to change the structure of the index, which
would break current code. I don't think this is good either.

Since we have put a stake in the ground that OSIS is the preferred
markup, I think that we can leverage OSIS  markup. (I.e. for non-OSIS
modules that have the problem, their solution would be to migrate to
OSIS) I think it would be better for OSIS modules to contain the verse
element(s) to carry such information. That is the text retrieved from
the Sword module would look like one or the other of:
<verse osisID="gen.1.1 gen.1.2" n="1-2">In the beginning....</verse>
or (more preferably)
<verse osisID="gen.1.1 gen.1.2" sID="gen.1.1" n="1-2"/>In the
beginning...<verse eID="gen.1.1"/>