[sword-devel] KJV2006 Project

Darald Bantel dbantel at telus.net
Wed Feb 15 17:18:39 MST 2006

As this has become a personal opinion piece I will weigh in!

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 18:44 +0100, Kristian Due wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Just wanted to add two more reasons (in addition to  Chris' good point
> of hyperothodoxy) why you should not capitalize the pronouns in KJV. You
> are probably aware of them anyway, but I think them a little funny, so
> they deserve to be mentioned.
>
>     1) The singular pronouns (e.g. thou/thee) in middle-english are
> always used in non-formal settings, and for formal settings the plural
> forms you (and ye) were used. The funny thing here is the semantic shift
> because the middle english *informal* pronouns have become the modern
> english *formal* pronouns, and vice versa!
>     2) If the translators of KJV had wanted to revere God by pronouns,
> they certainly would have used the formal ones. The informal pronouns
> probably reflect a theological consideration - a God we are allowed to
> call abba/daddy certainly does not demand reverence through capitalized
> pronouns.

Right in one - God does not demand reverence and He does encourage me to
think of Him as a beloved Father but (a very important but) albeit
though He (in His Son) walks beside me He is still also pure holiness
and as such I offer Him reverence. If I wish to do such that does not
detract from what you do - rather it is my decision - as such would it
not be nice to give the user the option rather than ranting in one's own
opinion?

Darald

Post scriptum  If you found the foregoing hard to read - sorry but this
is the way I prefer to write about my God.