[sword-devel] NET bible

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 8 12:20:00 MST 2006

Greg Hellings wrote:
> I could almost swear that there is support in at least some front ends
> already for linking from a <scripRef> entity.  Doesn't Bibletime
> support that?  I thought that it was working this summer when I was
> working with several ThML texts.  Maybe I was thinking of some one of
> the prototype implementations we were working with.  Implementation in
> the RTF-based BibleCS, though...?  I've never tried it.
In an earlier discussion on Strongs it was noted that Strongs often
references other entries in its work, but that Sword did not support
internal linking from one dictionary entry to another. I may have
misunderstood, but based on this I doubt that there is support for links
to anything but a Bible, Strongs or Robinsons.

According to http://www.ccel.org/ThML/ThML1.04.htm
<scripRef> is used for a reference to scripture and not a general
purpose reference.

ThML uses <a> as an HTML anchor to other documents and also provides
<sync type="" value=""> for cross-references. My guess is that support
for these is limited. In the case of <a> the url would need to be
decoded to understand it as a module reference, probably introducing a
new protocol. In the case of sync the type attribute is unconstrained
and essentially requires an application to interpret the value in its
context (eg type=Strongs). I don't know if this has been defined as a
module reference.

Turning to OSIS the possibilities are better. OSIS defines the
<reference osisRef=""> element where the osisRef can refer to an
external work. An osisRef contains a workid if it refers to another
document. I don't know the level of support for this element, other than
how JSword handles it.

At this time JSword assumes that the osisRef does not contain a workid
and that it refers to a passage in the user's current working Bible.
This is not proper usage, but we have not found situations in the
available modules which have other kinds of references.