[sword-devel] Survey of Personal Commentary Support

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 18 08:20:44 MST 2006

One of the most frequently asked questions on the sword-support address
is "How do I use/create my own commentary?" This is one question that I
don't know how to answer as each application's support and
implementation of a personal commentary differs. As far back as I can
see, these questions have gone unanswered. I'd like to be able to answer
them.

I'd appreciate it if I could get some information on how each of the
applications handles personal commentary. If this information is in an
application's up-to-date, current documentation/help files, I'd be happy
with pointer to it.

Application Name:
Does it support the Personal Commentary module?
How does one edit the Personal Commentary module?
Does the application support any other notion of module writing? If so
how does one use it?
Does the application support any other notion of annotation? (sticky
note, verse annotation, ....) If so, how is it used?
For each of these ways, is the resultant "commentary" usable by another
sword application?
Also, how well do they work.

For example,
    JSword/BibleDesktop does not support module writing. So it does not
support the Personal Commentary. (It would read it just fine, but since
it is empty, it is useless.) Additionally, it does not support any other
way for a user to annotate verses.

For example, (This is not at all definitive but based only upon my
experience/experimentation)
    MacSword supports editable commentaries. The user can either create
a new writable commentary or select Personal Commentary. The user opens
that module and, with that window in the forefront, turns edit on for
that module. The user is then presented with a table of cells which then
allow for authoring and saving. However, I could never get it to work. I
don't know if the implementation is experimental, whether it needs to be
recompiled with Universal Binary support, or something else. Because I
couldn't get it to work, I couldn't tell if it supported any kind of markup.