[sword-devel] PATCH for crashes with ciphering code

Daniel Glassey dglassey at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 17:48:26 MST 2006

On 01/12/06, Martin Gruner <mg.pub at gmx.net> wrote:
> The attached patch fixes the stability problems experienced with Sword and
> ciphered and locked modules.
>
> To see unpatched Sword crash, just run
>
> mod2imp GerHfa2002              and
> mod2imp GerHfaLex2002
>
> without the correct unlock key.
>
> The patch works against 1.5.9 and does the following:
> -fix one unchecked pointer access in zverse.cpp, based on Joachim's suggestion
> with small improvements such as one removed strlen()
> -allow the return value of the zip uncompression code to be used correctly.
> Now uncompression will detect that it has corrupt data (when deciphering with
> a wrong key) and return an empty string in that case.
>
> This seems to finally fix the stability issues for me.
>
> I would be very glad if the patch could be applied to HEAD and a bugfix
> release of Sword (1.5.9.1 or something, including Daniel's large compile and
> automake fixes) be released, otherwise our users cannot profit from it
> easily.

Thanks for that Martin. If no-one else gets to it before I do then
I'll verify it and check it in.

I think the functional change "Changed lucene indexing to actually
index the key field.  This allows searching within key field (e.g.
key:word)" sounds useful enough to make this 1.5.10  but I'm not
bothered what it's called, for me it would just be nice to have a
release so I can have a less-patched version in Debian etch ;) And
pass that onto Ubuntu.

I just need to finish off changes related to the compiler warnings as well.

Assuming (ok, big assumption ;) that there will be an imminent release
can the frontends please try out with current sword svn (preferably +
Martins patch). I can't see how anything would have been broken since
1.5.9 but better safe than sorry.

Regards,
Daniel