[sword-devel] JSword and development progress

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 27 07:08:06 MST 2006

Manfred,
	I actively develop JSword and BibleDesktop. If you would take a look
at the releases we make, they are several times a year. There are no
guarantees in life, but I intend to actively develop JSword as long
as the Lord wills. I spend around 20 hours a week on CrossWire
development.

	I would like to strongly encourage you to help make BibleDesktop
better rather than creating yet another GUI. BibleDesktop is cross-
platform already. I think we can reach more by making it better.

	I bet that BibleDesktop has most of what you want. And that the
features that it lacks is precisely what should be added. Please join
us on the jsword-devel mailing list. I will be glad to walk you
through any feature you would like to add.

	JSword is a re-implementation of Sword C++ API. It has most features
that the Sword API has, but notably is missing support for GenBook
and module writing (i.e. no Personal Commentary). There are some
other missing features (such as being able to install modules from
the network) but these have not been requested. If you want to see
our "wish-list" go to www.crosswire.org/bugs and look under JSword,
Common and BibleDesktop.

	The development model is to be responsive to user requests. That is
if there is strong interest in a new feature, we work on that next.
Usually, it is because we are personally interested in it ourselves.
GenBook and Personal Commentary are next on the agenda. GenBook
because it is the basis of alternate versification and Personal
Commentary because it is probably the most requested feature next to
Parallel Bible view.

	We have deliberately not kept JSword in sync with Sword. Our filter
architecture is superficially similar but very different. So many
changes to Sword are unnecessary to replicate in JSword.

	Lately, I have been working on the KJV and ESV modules and have not
been making many changes to JSword. The reason for this is that the
KJV is the most downloaded module and it was encoded so badly that it
looked terrible in JSword/BibleDesktop. I have also been contributing
to the Sword C++ API recently.

	Also, we now have support for compressed dictionaries. We had not
addressed this earlier because there was only one compressed
dictionary and the utility of dictionaries in BibleDesktop is weak.
But we have added it because there are going to be a lot more
compressed dictionaries in the near future.

	The next release of BibleDesktop also has a bunch of internal
changes to JSword related to platform appropriate persistence.

	Look for a release in the next few days.

In His Service,
	DM