[sword-devel] Linked verses ........

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 15 12:45:49 MST 2006

Greg Hellings wrote:
> On 8/15/06, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> For example, The Message Bible that I have does not have verse numbers
>> at all. I seem to recall seeing a Message Bible with verse numbers. If
>> we were ever to get The Message Bible (which I'd love) I think that we'd
>> want the verses to be stored and searchable individually but have the
>> verse numbers optionally displayed.
>>

> I've certainly never seen this phenomenon - it seems like a concept
> completely contrary to Peterson's reason behind making The Message.
> If I understood his translation principles correctly, he doesn't have
> any concept of verses in his translation.  Certainly some other editor
> may have put them in, but I don't believe that it's a display issue.

There are many contexts in which identifying a passage with verse
numbers is very useful.
When I see quotes of the Message in other works they provide verse numbers.
(See Rick Warren's Purpose Driven Life)

NavPress, the publisher of The Message, sells one with verse numbers.
http://www.navpress.com/Store/Product/1576838382.html
The verse numbers are in the margin and not in the text and many are a
small range.
Hopefully, Peterson created them.