[sword-devel] Linked verses ........

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 15 12:45:49 MST 2006

Greg Hellings wrote:
> On 8/15/06, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> For example, The Message Bible that I have does not have verse numbers
>> at all. I seem to recall seeing a Message Bible with verse numbers. If
>> we were ever to get The Message Bible (which I'd love) I think that we'd
>> want the verses to be stored and searchable individually but have the
>> verse numbers optionally displayed.
> I've certainly never seen this phenomenon - it seems like a concept
> completely contrary to Peterson's reason behind making The Message.
> If I understood his translation principles correctly, he doesn't have
> any concept of verses in his translation.  Certainly some other editor
> may have put them in, but I don't believe that it's a display issue.
There are many contexts in which identifying a passage with verse
numbers is very useful.
When I see quotes of the Message in other works they provide verse numbers.
(See Rick Warren's Purpose Driven Life)

NavPress, the publisher of The Message, sells one with verse numbers.
The verse numbers are in the margin and not in the text and many are a
small range.
Hopefully, Peterson created them.