[sword-devel] Linked verses ........

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 12:23:43 MST 2006

On 8/15/06, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Barry Drake wrote:
> > Hi there ...........
> >
> > I've been checking out the Linux frontends alongside BibleCS for various
> > features.  I note that GnomeSword and BibleDesktop do not handle 'linked
> > verses' properly.  All the other frontends seem to work OK with these.
> > I mention this, because I am at present negotiating with the copyright
> > holder for the JB Phillips New Testament.  If this is successful, we
> > will be adding a version which makes heavy use of linked verses.
> >

> IIRC, linking creates a block of verses and stores it as the content of
> the first verse in the block but then for all the subsequent verses, it
> has them point to the same place as the first verse.
>
> BibleDesktop does not handle it yet, but it does need to. IIRC, BD shows
> the entire block for each verse, with a verse number before it.
>
> The big question for me is what should the "search" behavior be?
> Currently, we search for individual verses. Linking verses breaks the
> notion of individual verses as there is no boundary. BibleDesktop has
> capabilities to search for words in one verse near words in another.
>
> If there are truly no verse boundaries, then linking is the right thing
> to do. But if it is merely a display issue, then I think that there
> needs to be another mechanism.
>
> For example, The Message Bible that I have does not have verse numbers
> at all. I seem to recall seeing a Message Bible with verse numbers. If
> we were ever to get The Message Bible (which I'd love) I think that we'd
> want the verses to be stored and searchable individually but have the
> verse numbers optionally displayed.

I've certainly never seen this phenomenon - it seems like a concept
completely contrary to Peterson's reason behind making The Message.
If I understood his translation principles correctly, he doesn't have
any concept of verses in his translation.  Certainly some other editor
may have put them in, but I don't believe that it's a display issue.

> With JB Phillips, I think it is similar in that it is a display issue
> that some verse numbers not display.

The same goes, I believe, for the Phillips.  From my recollection
there is no concept of verses as such - the numbers that are displayed
in the printed versions of it are only there to give people a general
sense of where they are.  The reason that the first 18 verses of a
chapter are printed together is because sentences overrun verse
boundaries, etc, and to make an idiomatic translation into English the
translator decided to forgo including them.  All of the verse numbers
in Phillips are displayed - it's just some are displayed as part of a
range rather than as verses with an individual unit.