[sword-devel] Ubuntu

Roberto C. Sanchez roberto at familiasanchez.net
Wed Apr 26 06:45:50 MST 2006

JPKlingon at aol.com wrote:
> I rather like Knoppix as a nice Debian installer.  The nice thing with
> Knoppix is that you can use it as a boot disk on just about any
> relatively modern PC.  I have an old 486 in my basement with only 32 meg
> and it runs a Knoppix installed Debian - sometimes a little slow, but it
> works fine as my household Web/SSH/mail server.

The problem with this approach is that Knoppix is a mix of testing,
unstable, third party and some custom packages by Knopper himself.  It
is a good LiveCD distro, but I have known several people to get bitten
by serious problems when trying to "convert" their Knoppix install over
to Debian.  BTW, the new Debian installers work very well on a very wide
range of equipment.  You should have no trouble using that.

God Bless,

Roberto C. Sanchez