[sword-devel] Ubuntu

Roberto C. Sanchez roberto at familiasanchez.net
Fri Apr 21 14:40:26 MST 2006

David J. Ring, Jr. wrote:
> Unfortunately with the distributions I've tried, I find they run much slower
> on older machines - much slower than Windows XP - which surprises me.  I
> have one machine that is a Pentium 3 at about 550 MHz with 64 MB RAM and it
> is slower than a slothful man at work time.  Ringht now I'm running on
> Mandriva Linux 2006 and it just creeps when doing anything.
> Anyone have a recommendation for a linux distro that runs quickly on old
> machines?

It is not so much a matter of distro as a matter of desktop environment.
 Choose a lightweight window manager, lightweight web browser and other
lightweight apps and you should do fine.

For example, on that machine I would personally use:

WindowMaker (which I use on all my machines, regardless of speed)
Firefox or Galeon (or even Dillo if you can do without many features)

Naturally, there are many other packages out there.  I know that on the
Debian lists (-devel and -user) there are many recent discussions on
recommended packages for a lighweight desktop.

Roberto C. Sanchez