[sword-devel] Ubuntu

Roberto C. Sanchez roberto at familiasanchez.net
Fri Apr 21 14:40:26 MST 2006

David J. Ring, Jr. wrote:
> Unfortunately with the distributions I've tried, I find they run much slower
> on older machines - much slower than Windows XP - which surprises me.  I
> have one machine that is a Pentium 3 at about 550 MHz with 64 MB RAM and it
> is slower than a slothful man at work time.  Ringht now I'm running on
> Mandriva Linux 2006 and it just creeps when doing anything.
>
> Anyone have a recommendation for a linux distro that runs quickly on old
> machines?

It is not so much a matter of distro as a matter of desktop environment.
 Choose a lightweight window manager, lightweight web browser and other
lightweight apps and you should do fine.

For example, on that machine I would personally use:

WindowMaker (which I use on all my machines, regardless of speed)
AbiWord
Firefox or Galeon (or even Dillo if you can do without many features)
Sylpheed

Naturally, there are many other packages out there.  I know that on the
Debian lists (-devel and -user) there are many recent discussions on
recommended packages for a lighweight desktop.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto