[sword-devel] For God Opposes the proud but gives grace to the humbe

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 9 05:59:55 MST 2006

Kurt Andrews wrote:
> Folks,
> I spent most of the day trying to get a development environment for
> Sword set up on my Mac.  If there are any Mac developers out there I'm
> feeling pretty humble at the moment and could use a little guidance.
> I got side tracked trying to get gtk2 and swig to build and spent most
> of the day trying to find the right email list to subscribe to, and
> ask the right questions.  I still haven't got it working.  Maybe I've
> been doing Java programing for too long...
There are 2 ports of Sword for the Mac.

The MacSword project is hosted at http://sourceforge.net/projects/macsword.
I think Will Thimbleby is the lead developer.
This is C++ development.

The JSword project, a Java port of Sword, is hosted at
This is the project which I work on.
Our GUI is called BibleDesktop.
If you are interested, you can join the jsword-devel mailing list at
We can discuss it more there.

We have been using Eclipse as our development IDE, which has a port to
MacOSX (Mac/Carbon).
See http://www.eclipse.org/downloads for downloads.
And we use the subclipse plugin for access to SVN (see

For JSword, we use "ant". (http://ant.apache.org) This is built into

> I also tried to find some notes on connecting to the subversion
> repository.
> In short I think I've got a bit of leaning to do.  Dose the sword
> project have a wiki.

Sword has a wiki, but it was taken down for security reasons. It is
still offline. I don't think the wiki had instructions on how to setup
for C++ development, let alone on the Mac.

> We use one at work for technical documentation.  Since I'm going to
> have to come up the learning curve a little, I could document as I go.

This would be greatly appreciated by any project you join.