[sword-devel] BDB?

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 25 13:49:22 MST 2005

Chris,
    This is good to know. While it is a very old work, I think that if
or when one proceeds with the effort, it should be necessary to work
from something that clearly is not copyrighted (i.e. hard copy that is
sufficiently early enough) or we get permission from the current
copyright holder. As I understand the note in my hardcopy of BDB, there
are corrections to the original and given the date, the corrections
would be under copyright. Working from hard copy that is under copyright
without permission because most of it is beyond copyright seems to me to
put the burden on us to demonstrate that we did not violate the copyright.
    Are you also saying/implying that the OLB module was obtained from
that which would not be under copyright? I imagine that we simply don't
know. As I have looked into the origins of other modules, it does not
seem clear what the origin was for most of them.
    I am then wondering why Naves is online. According to nave.doc that
is part of the module, it taken from a particularly buggy etext and was
fixed to be 99% correct. As I have obtained the original of the fixed
etext and am working on converting it into OSIS, I am concerned that it
will be unacceptable as it is from an etext which may not be the same as
the original. Any advise? (Obviously from my other posts, I am adverse
to copyright infringement and if I cannot be sure that I am working with
PD, I will do something else.)
Thanks,
    DM