[sword-devel] [OT?] Any info on OpenOffice 2.0?

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 4 16:51:42 MST 2005

Lynn Allan wrote:

> Does anyone have significant experience with OpenOffice? The 2.0
> release recently was released and claims to be VERY compliant with XML
> standards.

I have been using OO since about 1.4, including all the betas and am now
using 2.0.
I have not experienced any performance problems (I am running a 2.0 ghz
AMD). Startup time is dependent upon whether you are running OO's
quickstarter, which I am not as it is not too slow for me. Once up it is
fast. On occasion, it has minor problems with Word, but I can't recall
if that has been resolved in 2.0.

> I have not followed the progress of OO 2.0 particularly closely, and
> have no experience with ver 1.x. My impression is that OO 2.0 might be
> applicable to OSIS (but I am a newbie wrt osis). My direct interest is
> that OO 2.0 might be applicable in preparing something like a
> SharingBible that simplified XSLT issues..

As to using it with XML or OSIS, I think that may be possible, but I
have no knowledge of it.

I think it would be very interesting for a Sword application to
send/open OSIS text into an OO document, either opening a new document
or inserting it at the current insertion point, and for it to receive
text from it (e.g. for personal commentary).
For modules in non-OSIS, a mod2osis like filter could be used to convert
the fragment to OSIS prior to sending.

So I don't think that this is off topic.