[sword-devel] OSIS Support planned

Joachim Ansorg nospam+sword-devel at joachim-ansorg.de
Tue May 17 15:03:11 MST 2005

Hi Wolfgang,
thank you for your kind eMail.

> i am glad to anounce that the Theologische Inititative Freiburg has
> decided to support  OSIS-Fileformat in our  API.

Cool :)
So you will support only Zefania and OSIS? Or is your API open for other
markup schemes with plugins or something similair?

> We need a reliable source for downloading  pur OSIS-XML bible files, so
> we ask you to put your available OSIS-files online for downloading.

The Sword API supports conversion of modules into OSIS XML files, for example
using the mos2osis tool. That could be done automatically to publish OSIS
files of modules online.
Atm I don't know what Troy's and Chris's plans about pure XML data files are
but I think it might be a worthy addition to the existing Sword module data
files.

> in short our credo for working with  OSIS XML is:
>
> We do not convert them in a **
> <http://dict.leo.org/se?lp=ende&p=/Mn4k.&search=Intermediate>
> intermediate format but our API will work directly on XML. This is state
> of the art in our thinking.

Directly on OSIS XML or on Zefania XML (converted from OSIS)?
Directly working on XML data files has some nice advantages in my opinion,
just like you said.

> The Theologische Initiative Freiburg has no doubt that our support of
> OSIS will push the OSIS-Project and the Sword-Project also to a higher
> level of acceptance by biblesoftware developers who look ahead the future.

Yes, a better collaboration between Zefania and OSIS (or even MyBible/Zefania
frontends <-> Sword frontends) is something I'd really love to achieve.

Blessings,
Joachim
--
<>< Re: deemed