[sword-devel] crosswire.org update

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sun May 8 17:13:19 MST 2005

DM,
	Thanks for the info.  When we were at Fosdem last month, I complained
to Alan Cox at Redhat for there not being a smooth remote upgrade path
between releases.  He acknowledge that it was a deficit and then said
told me that it kindof works anyway, and that he had a box that was
remote upgraded all the way from RH7 to FC3.  So, I gave it a try.
Here's the note I followed:

http://www.linux.duke.edu/~skvidal/misc/fc2-fc3-update-with-yum.txt

and it pretty much worked well.  Let me add:

set your scrollback buffer in your terminal to 1800 lines
and after the yum install is done, scrollback and look for, "warning
xxxx.conf saved as xxxx.conf.rpmnew" and diff your current .conf with
the new one and merge your changes

before rebooting:
edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to point to your new kernel

It also seems that 2.6.11 has a memory problem on x86_64.  We get a
bunch of errors reported in /var/log/messages and it looks like they
might have a fix in 2.6.12, but if you're running 64bit, you might want
to wait.  Also, seems like a softboot isn't working on the server right
now, which is the cause for the downtime lastnight.  Had to wait for
someone to show up at our ISP to hardboot the rack.  Hoping for a kernel
update soon.

	-Troy.