[sword-devel] Arabic Translation

Daniel Glassey danglassey at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 25 17:20:31 MST 2005

See7a wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to thank you all for your effort to make God's word
> availabl. I pray to God to bless you and your work to be always
> fruitfull.
>
> I was thinking about starting to translate The SWORD Project for
> Windows to Arabic. I have good experience in software development and
> Arabic is my mother tongue. I just wanted to know first how much work
> is involved in this and also how is the translation going to happen?
> do you have separate dictionary files for your software text labels or
> is it embedded in the source code?

That would be wonderful. :)

There are 2 files used for translation.
There is a file of bible booknames used by all SWORD programs:

It is partially explained in
http://www.crosswire.org/ucgi-bin/twiki/view/Swordapi/LocaleFileLayout

I haven't got a working windows here but I think they are in the
locales.d directory or something.

e.g. fi-utf8.conf

copy it to ar-utf8.conf

The file should be stored in UTF8 (a form of Unicode) text format.
Wordpad or possibly notepad should be able to do this.

Don't worry about the complicated 'abbreviations' part for the moment.
The most important part is to translate the book names.

Secondly, the thing that should be translated particularly for the SWORD
Project for windows is the conf file in uilocales.d in the directory
that the program was installed to.

Take fi.conf as an example
The translation is stored in the form
English=Translation

If you need any more help just ask on the list.

God bless.

Daniel