[sword-devel] Re: sword-devel Digest, Vol 15, Issue 15

RLRANDALLX at aol.com RLRANDALLX at aol.com
Sun Jun 12 19:46:14 MST 2005

In a message dated 6/11/2005 12:03:50 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
sword-devel-request at crosswire.org writes:

>Robin,
>    There a number of issues involved with  considering moving to
>try/throw/catch error handling.  The first  one that comes to mind is
>language binding.  Second is  cross-platform portability with OSs like
>PocketPC, which, if I  remember correctly don't have compilers that
>support exceptions or  RTTI.  I'm not in a mental state to debate the
>merits of either  system for a few months, but we have a long running
>list of  improvements to the engine.  If it is something you have a
>practicle reason for desiring, please open a new feature request and
>include justification and we'll not forget to address the issue
>(actually this goes out to anyone who wishes to switch error handling
>models).
>
>    -Troy.
>
>PS.   I think we've done a pretty solid job to keep memory usage down to
>a  minimum.  I'm not sure that any of our apps are running out of memory
>doing anything these days.  We run on some small platforms, like  PDAs
>with as little as a total of 16MB of RAM.  The optimizations  to make us
>work in these environments have left us with a fairly lean  memory
>footprint, even on larger systems.  Most of our objects  which allocate
>and cache resources implement an SWCacher interface  with
>resourceConsumption and lastAccess reporting, and a flush method  to ask
>them to clean up.  We where planning on writing a CacheMgr  which all
>these SWCacher object could be handed to, that would monitor  these
>objects and keep total resourceConsumption within a reasonable
>tolerance, but haven't done so yet.  That was a long  PS.

It's just a wish list item for me at this point.  I'll let someone  with more
knowledge of all
the issues/consequences write up the "improvement/new feature docs.   Go have
a vacation:) or whatever. (Like DM or Barry)

In His Grace,
Robin

Phone:  650-948-8037
Fax: 650-948-9337