[sword-devel] Sword for VB

David dnr at crosswire.org
Tue Jan 11 00:01:20 MST 2005

Greg Marine wrote:

> Has anyone attempted to create a Sword application using Visual Basic?
> Or at least, does anyone know how one might do so? I would like to set
> references to the Sword API and use VB to create a front end. In the
> end, I'm mostly interested in bridging the cap between the Sword API
> and Mozilla's Gecko engine. They have an easy to use ActiveX control I
> can use in VB. This is the only reason I would even imagine doing a
> Sword front end in VB. I plan to eventually migrate to using Java as
> an XPCOM bridge between the Sword API (actually JSword) and Mozilla's
> Gecko engine. This would allow me to make the front end cross
> platform. But I want to create a proof of concept using VB first. Any
> help is appreciated.
>
> God Bless <><
> Greg

I have already experimented with the Mozilla ActiveX control (in C++,
not VB). There are some interfaces that are not implemented in the
control that would need to be available to provide the current
functionality available in BibleCS. I have not attempted to learn
anything about XPCOM, but it would be a more direct approach and most
likely all of the needed interfaces would probably be exposed through it.

If you continue to work with the control, and run into any problems let
me know and I will help you in anyway I can.

DNR