[sword-devel] Nave's

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 06:13:31 MST 2005

Naves has/is one of my favorite Bible dictionaries.

I am thinking about improving Nave's for use with Sword and JSword.
Specifically, I would like to mark up the verse references and internal
cross references so that they are hyperlinks. I hope to get started
after JSword 1.0 is released (soon, but in its own time), but I want to
start thinking about it now.

In the nave.conf, I found references to www.bf.org as being the
TextSource. (They are listed for a bunch of other modules) It appears
that they no longer maintain the source. Doing some searching I found
Naves.zip at http://aibi.gospelcom.net/downloads/naves.zip. This looks
very much like what was used for the Sword module.

First question, Do we maintain copies of the "editorial masters" from
which Sword modules are created? And if so, could you point me to it for
Naves?

Second question, Is this link pointing to what was used? I did a spot
check and it does not agree with my printed copy, 1974 Revised Edition
(e.g. see "House of God") Where can I find a non-revised hard copy
edition, if that was the basis? It does seem to agree with what is in
the module. Is there a better zip? If so where? My goal at this point is
better markup, not better content.

Third (I know this is actually question 5 and 6;) question, If we don't
have the editorial master, is there a way to reverse the module making
to produce a facsimile of it? Or should I start over with this Naves.zip?

Fourth question: What format should be used? OSIS, THML, GBF, ...? It
seems that OSIS is the current markup of choice. I plan to use perl to
do the transformation.

Currently it looks something like this in JSword:
HOUSE OF GOD
-A place of prayer #Mt 21:13; Mr 11:17; Lu 19:46| -Holy #Ec 5:1; Isa
62:9; Eze 43:12; 1Co 3:17| -See SYNAGOGUE -See TABERNACLE -See TEMPLE

In the zip it looks something like:
$$T0002410
\HOUSE OF GOD\

 -A place of prayer