[sword-devel] Does "Open Source" scare off publishers? [Was: Onething That I would like to see...]

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Thu Feb 17 13:10:13 MST 2005

Lynn Allan wrote:
> Sorry, I was unclear that I meant to be referencing the Bible texts
> that CrossWire makes available for no charge, such as MKJV, LITV, RSV,
> and some others. I believe that their publishers tend to be careful
> about copyright permissions ... you have to do more than just ask
> politely.

Asking politely is how we got permission to distribute Green's LitV &
MKJV and the God's Word translation.

> There isn't any sapphire encryption technology involved with these
> modules, is there?

no

> My impression is that an individual can actually go to the respective
> publisher's website or a catalog and find these Bibles for sale. They
> might be actually carried in a large Christian bookstore, or a smaller
> bookstore could order them for you.

Sometimes and sort of. For example, you can get Green's Literal Version,
but to my knowledge it's still only available in the form of his
interlinear Bible. The RSV is considered old. It's no longer their
flagship product. And many of these translations you'd have never heard
of if they didn't give electronic copies away.

> My point is that these publishers have actually taken on some risk
> that cooperation with sword will cut into their sales. They could lose
> revenue due to unethical "verse mongers".

We're not exactly the only source for these translations. Most are
available in full in files posted on the web. Almost all are available
through web Bibles like Bible Gateway.

You keep using this phrase "verse mongers" and, while it evokes a great
image of a Shylock-type character, running about trying to steal Bibles,
I don't exactly see what purpose you think this hypothetical person has
for these pilfered goods. Is he *gasp* going to import them into some
other program? I don't think the Bible publishers who grant _us_
permission to distribute would much care if people used their work in
other programs. Is he going to try to print copies off? That's a pretty
bad idea since it will cost him more than a bound copy. I just don't see
any validity to this hypothetical case.

--Chris