[sword-devel] Does "Open Source" scare off publishers? [Was: One thing That I would like to see...]

The Abbott Family ddb1 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 16 22:05:46 MST 2005

Remember: we do not know whether the publishers of most Bibles would be
willing to distribute Bibles in Sword format because we have not asked.
We have not had the personnel sufficient to seek out distribution rights
in a professional manner. Legions of users spamming publishers with
emails saying, "I demand that you give me a free copy of your Bible!" is
amateurish and pointless.

The above is what I am trying to get at.  It doesn't seem as if any one from Crosswire has been trying to do anything and send off dumb e-mail saying what you pointed out is indead pointless.

I realize that as a non-profit it is hard to pay for employees especially ones to do one specific thing.  I don't really know exactly what all it is like to work at Crosswire but I must imagine that you do a lot and do more than just one thing.  That you all have many jobs to do.

--David Abbott

Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org> wrote:
Lynn Allan wrote:
> I speculate that Bible publishers are more inclined to be receptive to
> working with "closed source" venders. I would worry if I were them ...
> whether the large expense to translate, publish, and market was "at
> risk" from "crackable" encryption.

That might be a perception that publishers have, but it would be an
incorrect one.

> How closed is a module if the customized compression is open source in
> a svn available .cpp file? mod2vpl seems to invite "verse mongers"
> ... as near as I can tell.

We don't rely on compression and closed formats to hide data. Other
Bible software does, to the extent of my knowledge, do this. Our data is
actually encrypted. In order to access it you either need the actual
cipher key to unlock it or you need a PhD in CS with an emphasis in
cryptography in order to discover an exploit in the cryptographic code.

Last I checked, BibleWorks and OLB both allow you to export the contents
of full Bibles. They put that facility right in the UI.

> But I am astonished that Bibles such as the ESV, MSG, AMP, etc are
> available at no charge to closed source "vender(s)". To God be the
> glory ... and I believe those publishers are "storing up" some hearty
> "well done good and faithful servant" comments from our Savior.

Remember: we do not know whether the publishers of most Bibles would be
willing to distribute Bibles in Sword format because we have not asked.
We have not had the personnel sufficient to seek out distribution rights
in a professional manner. Legions of users spamming publishers with
emails saying, "I demand that you give me a free copy of your Bible!" is
amateurish and pointless.

--Chris