[sword-devel] conf utf-8

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Mon Feb 14 01:01:59 MST 2005

	This is great news!!!  I'd love to see a screenshot if you could post 
one somewhere.  I've not succeeded in getting anything other than 
latin-based languages to show up on the menus in Windows 2000.

	My guess about the characters which keep the .conf file from being 
recognized... try adding a few newlines to the beginning of the file.  I 
would guess that XXX[Section Name] at the beginning is just causing our 
.conf reader to not recognize the "Section Name".

	Bad news about the on/off and other preference items.  They are pulled 
straight from the sword engine, and CAN be translated, but the scheme we 
use in the windows frontend depends on these strings remaining what the 
sword engine is expecting when toggling.  It's a simple fix-- we just 
need to translate and keep a mapping between what the engine wants and 
the translation.  But it's not something that I can get in before this 
trip.  If you have a chance, it would be great to have a bug item 
something like: "i18n sword preferences", in our bug tracker for BibleCS.

	I also don't think the new lucene indexing will support Thai searching. 
  They have code in the lucene engine for UTF8, but I believe it is very 
fresh, and it doesn't compile cleanly for me.  Hope they will improve 
this shortly.  We do pass UTF8 in for both indexing and searching, so it 
might incidently work :)

	Thanks for the report!


Adrian Korten wrote:
> g'day,
> Conf files converted to utf-8 do work for the UI. I ran into a problem 
> at first that prevented the files from being read properly. I'm using 
> TecKit, a program that can quickly convert files from code-page 
> encodings to various unicode formats. It places three characters at the 
> beginning of the file to indicate that this is a utf-8 encoded file (in 
> hex 'EF BB BF'). MS programs add these characters as well when saving to 
> a unicode text format. I had to manually remove these characters before 
> Sword would recognize the conf files and include the Thai language as an 
> option. This makes it difficult for Windows users to create their own UI 
> files as it is not obvious what is causing the problem.
> There seem to be some additional translations available for Window 
> titles which is nice. Could you add 'on/off' as well if it has not been 
> done yet? 'on/off' is used with the various switches available on the menu.
> ak
> Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
>> Thanks for all the feedback again.
>> Fixed GBFFootnotes filter which caused problems in ASV and others
>> Fixed Start Each Verse On A New Line feature - it's located under 
>> display preferences, the very first option.
>> Changed CLucene indexing options to match those of JSword to see if we 
>> can share indecies.  Thanks DM Smith for all the insight to the 
>> better, non-default behaviour we now use!  Indexes are much smaller!
>> Added a new lucene search parameter: strong
>> You can now specify a searching using the strong: keyword. e.g.
>> +God +love +world +strong:G123
>> Jerry, we switched from SimpleAnalyzer to StandardAnalyzer, so maybe 
>> the AND issue is fixed.  Let me know.  Also, if you still have 
>> stability problems, please report them again.  I think I have them all 
>> fixed.
>> Bad news: you'll have to recreate your indexes.  But hopefully we're 
>> slowing making it faster to create these.
>> Thanks again for your time to test this stuff.  It's really 
>> appeciated!  Keep the great feedback coming!
>>     -Troy.
>> http://crosswire.org/sword/ALPHAcckswwlkrfre22034820285912/alpha/sword-1.5.8pre3.zip 
>> _______________________________________________
>> sword-devel mailing list
>> sword-devel at crosswire.org
>> http://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-devel
> _______________________________________________
> sword-devel mailing list
> sword-devel at crosswire.org
> http://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-devel

More information about the sword-devel mailing list