[sword-devel] Strong's numbers in Septuagint/LXX module?

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Fri Dec 2 12:57:53 MST 2005

Ted Walther wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 09:07:29PM -0800, Ted Walther wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 01:20:37PM -0800, Chris Little wrote:
>>
>>> What's the precise nature of your objective? We already have Strong's
>>> numbers in the KJV and LXX modules. Are you looking to have the WLC
>>> module tagged with Strong's numbers and/or keying to KJV words?
>>

>> Yes, keying the greek words to the KJV words, and using Strong's
>> numbers to do the keying.
>>
>> For instance, it is useful to know that the LXX uses paradiso where the
>> KJV translates the Hebrew as "garden" or "paradise".
>

> No interest?

Perhaps I am confused about what you're suggesting, so I'll explain what
we have and what I think you're saying, and you can correct me if I'm
misunderstanding.

We have the following relevant modules:
WLC (Hebrew OT, maybe with morphology available some day as an unlock)
LXX (Greek OT translated from the Hebrew OT, with morphology & Strong's
numbers)
Byz (Greek NT with morphology, Strong's numbers, and word-to-word
linking with our KJV)
KJV (English OT/NT translated from equivalents to our WLC & Byz texts,
with Strong's numbers throughout, morphology of the Greek in the NT, and
word-to-word linking with our Byz text)

(a) It seems like you're just suggesting that we should tag the LXX with
Strong's number, but we already have that.

(b) I can see the value in tagging the WLC with Strong's numbers and
linking these word-to-word with the KJV.

(c) I don't know that linking the LXX would be that useful since the KJV
is not a translation of it per se. But doing this would be fairly
trivial since the linking could be more or less automated through the
Strong's numbers.

(c) I could also see linking the LXX and the WLC, but this would require
doing something like (c) in the process.

If you really just want to see which LXX word corresponds to which KJV
word, I think you can already do that in the web frontend.

--Chris