[sword-devel] Building under Windows

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 05:41:14 MST 2005

Barry,

I have had decent success with building under gcc/mingw/msys. I have not
had, though, success with building other libraries with MinGW tools - that's
where the problems arose. Said other libraries build flawlessly with VC++
tools, but then Sword does not build. So I was stuck - with VC I could build
2 of 3 required libraries, but the third one, Sword, could not be compiled.
So now I'm back to making the other two work with MinGW/MSYS, which I am
close to completing. However, if there were a way to compile the Sword
library under Windows using native Windows compilers (which many people
claim produce faster, leaner, better code than GCC), then it would be easier
to build native apps that tied in with Sword. Perhaps this functionality
already exists and I'm just missing it?

--Greg