[sword-devel] host[ing] despite legality

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 14:51:58 MST 2005

While all of this discussion is very intirguing, it seems to be clear to
everyone now that the Sword developers want nothing to do with even a hint
of illegality that would surround creation of tools to import copyright
materials from other formats (a very sagacious position, in my view).
Therefore, is there any attemt to talk with copyright holders of texts like
the NIV, NRSV, and others to see if they would be willing for a Sword module
to be available. I would love the ability to get a copy of Sword modules for
texts such as those more modern translations - either from Crosswire or
directly from the copyright holders and would be more than happy to pay for
the fee that such texts would cost, regardless of my thelogical position on
charging for the Word of God. So what is the status of talking to the
copyright holders? Is there any progress or do they all reject the ideas out
of hand? Is there a way we could make the idea more intriguing to them (i.e.
offer to create a module in Sword format and give it to them for holding and
distribution, etc)? Because it really would be nice to have Sword modules of
modern translations available - either for hire or, through agreement, for
gratis.

--Greg