[sword-devel] InstallMgr limitation

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 19 18:39:29 MST 2005

One of the outstanding requests that we have for BibleDesktop/JSword is
to provide download sizes in the installer's listing of modules. At this
time we download mods.d.tar.gz and from that we figure out what zips are
available and when the user selects a module, we get the zip size and
ask the user if they want to download something that big.

One of the other outstanding requests is that we provide the user with
the scope of the module.

The problem that I have with an ls-lR file is that the listing changes
periodically as the operating system changes. Since the output is flat
text a custom parser needs to be written and that is susceptible to
breaking. If this is the route that people want to go, I would be
willing to write a perl or java program that would produce a file that
has a regular, unchanging output, that would provide the entire listing.

As I see it there are several parts for each module:
its module name
its download size (for both the tar.gz and zip)
the names and sizes of each part when on the local file system

So, yes, BibleDesktop/JSword would use it.