[sword-devel] New Accented Greek NT with Morph
anton_kylie at pacific.net.au
Thu Apr 21 17:14:22 MST 2005
Hi thanks for your work Troy.
This module is something I am very keen for, is it available
for use with Sword generally?
I tried the Bible Tool in Konqueror, but the bible text came
up in a font that looked like arial, or Verdana? And even
though I set all my fonts (standard, title, heading etc) in
Konqueror to Gentium, the bible text didn't change.
The text for the list of available modules changes, but not
the bible text.
Could this be something to do with the css?
> Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> > I've spent some time cleaning up a module
> > submitted by David (dnr at crosswire dot org) which
> > uses the base Westcott-Hort Accented GNT from CCEL and
> > merges in the morphology tags from Maurice Robinson's
> > WHNU text (our WHNU module). The result is an OSIS
> > module that is fully UTF8 Accented Greek NT with
> > Morphology. I'm really excited about this and it has
> > taken me way too long to process this work (sorry
> > guys). The only thing keeping this module from being
> > the ULTIMATE replacement for our WHNU module is the
> > lack of Nestle-Aland/UBS variants against the WH (the
> > 'NU' part of our current WHNU module). Without these
> > variants, we still cannot produce the Greek text which
> > is the predominant base text used for all modern Bible
> > translation work.
> > But it's still really cool! :)
> > Now, having said all this, we still have problems with
> > the current module.
> > o Oddly, Unicode Greek encoding is not very
> > standard. With Hebrew, everyone expected the extra
> > work to compose consonants and vowels and accents, etc.
> > They've already done the work (well, mostly). With
> > Greek, there is a whole "Greek Extended" Unicode range
> > defined containing precomposed characters. Some
> > renderers desire characters precomposed, others like to
> > do the composing themselves.
> > This issue makes things a little problematic. Most
> > resources (including the ICU Unicode library) claim
> > that canonical normal form is precomposed for Greek,
> > and my firefox browser under linux looks great showing
> > precomposed characters. IE running on _stock_ XP looks
> > horrible. If one webpage has Greek precomposed
> > characters, and someone enters a search string in
> > decomposed characters, they obviously will not match,
> > unless someone behind the curtain is being smart about
> > things-- we have the necessary filters in place to
> > handle this, but we need to think about the best
> > choices: a) strip all accents before searching; b) NFC
> > both the search string and the text before searching
> > I've spent some time making 3 Bibles available on
> > our site: 1) unaccented; 2) accented precomposed; 3)
> > accented decomposed
> > Here is a link which should show all 3 in parallel
> > (you can click on words for definitions if you'd like
> > :) ).
> > http://crosswire.org/study/parallelstudy.jsp?add=WHNU&a
> > We've specified in the HTML that the encoding is
> > UTF-8 so all browsers have a fighting chance :)
> > If you have a chance, could you please spend some
> > time trying this link with your browser and report your
> > results and configuration AND ANYTHING YOU DO (with
> > fonts or otherwise) that improves your viewing of the
> > accented Bibles.
> > Thanks to everyone who have contributed and I'm
> > excited about this new work!
> > -Troy.
> > _______________________________________________
> > sword-devel mailing list: sword-devel at crosswire.org
> > http://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-devel
> > Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at
> > above page
> sword-devel mailing list: sword-devel at crosswire.org
> Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at above
More information about the sword-devel