[sword-devel] New Accented Greek NT with Morph

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 20 17:22:51 MST 2005

Under FC3/Firefox, the composed and decomposed forms show the same 
behavior as under Firefox and WinXP. The composed has no problems. But 
many of the accented characters are shorter. I guess that this makes 
room for the accents. Under the decomposed form more letters have the 
accents following. Looking at it carefully, it appears that the letters 
that are shorter in the composed form are full sized in the decomposed 
form and have the accents following. Those that were full sized with 
accents in the composed form are accented in the decomposed form.

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> Hey guys,
>         I've spent some time cleaning up a module submitted by David 
> (dnr at crosswire dot org) which uses the base Westcott-Hort Accented 
> GNT from CCEL and merges in the morphology tags from Maurice 
> Robinson's WHNU text (our WHNU module).  The result is an OSIS module 
> that is fully UTF8 Accented Greek NT with Morphology.  I'm really 
> excited about this and it has taken me way too long to process this 
> work (sorry guys).  The only thing keeping this module from being the 
> ULTIMATE replacement for our WHNU module is the lack of 
> Nestle-Aland/UBS variants against the WH (the 'NU' part of our current 
> WHNU module).  Without these variants, we still cannot produce the 
> Greek text which is the predominant base text used for all modern 
> Bible translation work.
> But it's still really cool! :)
> Now, having said all this, we still have problems with the current 
> module.
>     o Oddly, Unicode Greek encoding is not very standard.  With 
> Hebrew, everyone expected the extra work to compose consonants and 
> vowels and accents, etc. They've already done the work (well, 
> mostly).  With Greek, there is a whole "Greek Extended" Unicode range 
> defined containing precomposed characters.  Some renderers desire 
> characters precomposed, others like to do the composing themselves.
>     This issue makes things a little problematic.  Most resources 
> (including the ICU Unicode library) claim that canonical normal form 
> is precomposed for Greek, and my firefox browser under linux looks 
> great showing precomposed characters.  IE running on _stock_ XP looks 
> horrible.  If one webpage has Greek precomposed characters, and 
> someone enters a search string in decomposed characters, they 
> obviously will not match, unless someone behind the curtain is being 
> smart about things-- we have the necessary filters in place to handle 
> this, but we need to think about the best choices: a) strip all 
> accents before searching; b) NFC both the search string and the text 
> before searching
>     I've spent some time making 3 Bibles available on our site: 1) 
> unaccented; 2) accented precomposed; 3) accented decomposed
>     Here is a link which should show all 3 in parallel (you can click 
> on words for definitions if you'd like :)   ).
> http://crosswire.org/study/parallelstudy.jsp?add=WHNU&add=WHAC&add=WHACD
>     We've specified in the HTML that the encoding is UTF-8 so all 
> browsers have a fighting chance :)
>     If you have a chance, could you please spend some time trying this 
> link with your browser and report your results and configuration AND 
> ANYTHING YOU DO (with fonts or otherwise) that improves your viewing 
> of the accented Bibles.
>     Thanks to everyone who have contributed and I'm excited about this 
> new work!
>         -Troy.
> _______________________________________________
> sword-devel mailing list: sword-devel at crosswire.org
> http://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-devel
> Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at above page

More information about the sword-devel mailing list