[sword-devel] Re: Christian Debian distro talk / Report

Don Parris evangelinux at thefreelyproject.org
Tue Apr 5 10:18:10 MST 2005

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 08:28:54 +0200 (CEST)
Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Pastor Ed B. wrote:
>
> > 1) there are a LOT of extra packages from Knoppix in IchthuX that just
> > don't really need to be there to meet our stated outreach goals. Looking
> > at the overloaded KDE menu just makes me feel bloated.

<SNIP>

> > The entire KDE menu structure is WAY too complicated. It should be
> > streamlined down to just a few menu entries, with organized submenus. I
> > know this is possible, because the Multimedia menu is subdivided into
> > Sound, Video, and Viewers. This is excellent - let's continue this all
> > the way through and SIMPLIFY.
>
> Sub menu's are NOT simplifying in my book. It means more work to navigate
> and more room for errors. (When they exposed me to windows XP I was
> seriously annoyed to find this kind of RSI inflicting sub-sub-sub-sub
> menu's becoming the standard.)
>
> Remove the parts you do not need but do not start to complicate a system
> with loads of menu's.
>
> Hugo.
>
> --

When I used to run Windows at home, I would always create menu groups, such
as "Office", "education", "games", etc.  That's logical to me.  Now when you
start needing 3 or 4 levels of menus, you may have too much software.  For a
demo/newbie-oriented distro, there's no need for 3 or 4 spreadsheets.
OpenOffice.org, Firefox/T-Bird, a chat client (maybe two), Evolution or
Kontact - things like that should suffice.

Just make sure to include:
<> one or two of the Sword projects
<> Lyricue (Lyrics display)
<> GnuCash
<> Include InfoCentral or CHADDB (steps for setting up CHADDB to work
with OpenOffice.org are fairly simple)
<> Audacity
<> GCompris (if possible - really neat educational tool for kids)

--
evangelinux    GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/                   http://chaddb.sourceforge.net/