[sword-devel] Re: Christian Debian distro talk / Report

fournilgilles at free.fr fournilgilles at free.fr
Tue Apr 5 00:48:16 MST 2005

hi everyone,

1) please do NOT use this email address anymore, I use it for professionnal
matters but rather use biblix.online at free.fr

2) PastorEd, my isp always returns a non-deliverable-mail-address with your
address when I email you (I am not even sure you will receive this one) : any
alternative one ?

> 1) there are a LOT of extra packages from Knoppix in IchthuX that just don't
> really need to be there to meet our stated outreach goals. Looking at the
> overloaded KDE menu just makes me feel bloated.
>
> Can we *please* get rid of the development packages, the unnecessary editors
> (5 editors? how about just down to Kedit, Kate, and a text editor (I prefer
> nano over zile, easier for a newbie to use, but it doesn't matter THAT much -
> most newbies don't do console editing anyway).

ok for editors, but NOT the developpement packages, for if one wants to install
Ichtux to hd and later one wants to add .tgz packages, it won´t build ! It is
like cutting the arms away of a man ...

> 2) During the HD install, the script has LILO as the default, but LILO is not
> nearly as flexible/recoverable as GRUB. Any chance we could switch the two?
>
> 3) Since this is going to be an OUTREACH tool that will be given to people
> who
> are unfamiliar with Linux, we should probably spend some time naming things
> so that non-Linux users won't get overly confused. For example:
>
> In the KDE menu, what does KNOPPIX mean? Since I'm a fairly experienced Linux
> user, I know right away what it means. But what if we give this disk to
> someone who has never even SEEN Linux, let alone the KNOPPIX distro. It will
> just confuse them.

I agree

> The entire KDE menu structure is WAY too complicated. It should be
> streamlined
> down to just a few menu entries, with organized submenus. I know this is
> possible, because the Multimedia menu is subdivided into Sound, Video, and
> Viewers. This is excellent - let's continue this all the way through and
> SIMPLIFY.

then how about taking a smaller distro which already has all this job done, such
as Morphix for instance ? It would save us many hours of work ...

> 4) Raphael: excellent job on pre-configuring Xchat to have Christian Forums
> right up front. That is GREAT. Can you put a DESKTOP shortcut that says
> something like "Live Christian Chat" which links to Xchat?

brilliant job indeed : please add a link to sword and the other christian tools

> 5) The graphics. That little kid coloring book version of Jesus makes my skin
> crawl. Do we really want to portray our Lord as a cartoon character? I would
> much rather come up with something that looks a bit more professional and has
> our theme built into it.
>
> We could create a series of themes, and keep the cartoon Jesus picture for
> the
> kids, along with the excellent Everaldo Kids' Icon theme. But PLEASE - not
> for the default install.

I agree on the graphics too. Non-christians already think Christianity is for
children or old women, we must not reinforce them in this ...

> 6) Right now, it looks as if Raphael is doing the lion's share of the actual
> work on configuring the distro. Is there any way we could spread out this
> development process so that we could all work on the project?
>
> Perhaps we could upload customized IchthuX packages to be included during the
> iso build process... all we need is a place to store them.

what do you mean ?

once again, you guys, please change your email address books regarding my email
address. Thanx :o)