[sword-devel] 1 bug left for 1.5.8

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Mon Apr 4 01:56:26 MST 2005

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
>     It is important for us to progress this tool to support more types
> of OSIS markup which are valid, but advancing this tool does not have
> any bearing on the engine and it is my opinion that it shouldn't hold up
> its release.

I'm basically in agreement here, with one reservation: I think we should
investigate the items Christopher cites. (I'm downloading everything
necessary for this right now and can report back tomorrow night.) As far
as I see things, there are four basic groups of errors that these may
belong to:
(1) operator error (e.g. not knowing that stuff in introductions goes
into 0 verses or not knowing where to find them)
(2) osis2mod deficiencies
(3) engine deficiencies (e.g. not knowing how to render tags)
(4) encoding errors (e.g. using tags in ways other than they were
intended).

I think there will be relatively few occasions where (2) the issue since
osis2mod does so little processing. It mainly tries to chunk a document
and place the resulting bits in the right verse slots. (1) and (4) are
not _really_ our problems (aside from making intros more accessible at
some point). But I think there's a possibility we'll have instances of
(3) that really SHOULD be fixed as soon as possible if they can be
identified (before 1.5.8, if possible).

I would also really like to see osis2mod "handle" apocrypha before we do
another public release of the util. All I want to see it do is recognize
the apocrypha and throw them out rather than trying to add them to
Revelation (as they now do). It's a quick fix that should help with
importing Bibles that include these books until the engine can actually
recognize them. But again, I'd like to see that before a release of
osis2mod, not necessarily the whole engine. (And I'll work on it when I
get around to importing that vulgate, if no one else feels motivated.)

>     I would like to help you get your Bible encoded into best practice
> OSIS encoding, and even stricter encoding which our tool will support.

The osis-user list is also a great place to get OSIS encoding help. A
number of people from this list are on it. Virtually everyone from the
OSIS committees is on it and ready to answer questions. And if questions
are posed to osis-user, they get archived in a central location for
future users who might have the same questions.

--Chris