[sword-devel] Esperanto Bible - alphabet

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Mon May 17 17:31:39 MST 2004

On Mon, 17 May 2004, Clyde C PRICE Jr wrote:

> I have on my system, and also available from the Esperanto Files Section of
> WWW.CDLF.ORG, a Latin3 version of the Esperanto Bible. If there exists a way
> to convert from Latin3 to Unicode, that would probably be an easier way to

Converting to/from unicode to/from any encoding is very easy - that is
the beauty of unicode.  It also provides an easy way to convert between
8-bit encodings by converting to unicode as an intermediate.  There
is a 16-bit unicode code for every 8-bit code of every known encoding.

Java provides an 'ascii2native' utility which despite the name
converts between any encoding ('native') and unicode ('ascii').

Python 2.x also makes converting between unicode and supported
encodings trivial.

Supporting a simple encoding (no multi-byte) in Python of Java is as simple as
providing a map to/from unicode.

The C++ w_char support library should provide similar utility, but I
am not familiar with it.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>