[sword-devel] Esperanto Bible - alphabet

Clyde C PRICE Jr ccprice at bellsouth.net
Mon May 17 16:37:20 MST 2004

David,

It's been "one of those YEARS", and more than two months later, I'm just now
getting to this place in my email-queue, deleting MOST stuff quickly.
Fortunately I saw what you were talking about, and the Esperanto Bible is
something I'm VERY interested in.

There's an easy-to-find Unicode version of the Esperanto Bible available
online, separated into books, but I don't think that it is separated into
verse-numbers. Obviously, adding in the verse-numbers in whatever convention
Sword requires would be a LOT of work if done manually, but I don't know how
to do it otherwise.

I have on my system, and also available from the Esperanto Files Section of
WWW.CDLF.ORG, a Latin3 version of the Esperanto Bible. If there exists a way
to convert from Latin3 to Unicode, that would probably be an easier way to
do it... but I THINK that this version is in paragraph format. The
OliveTree.com Esperanto Bible database employs the X-convention... One
version that used to "live" in the Esperanto section of the Foreign Language
Forum on Compuserve employed apostrophe instead of x... I guess it just
depends on what sort of convention(s) a particular into-Unicode program can
handle.

I wish I had more to offer toward the project, but at the moment I can't
even volunteer time... But I'm cheering you on(and whoever works with you).
I have had both direct contact with, and second- or third- hand reports
about, people who read the Bible ONLY in Esperanto, including both
"Bible-believers" and some folks who wouldn't have had much interest in
reading the Bible EVEN IN THEIR OWN LANGUAGE, but who wanted to read the
Bible in Esperanto. I strongly suspect that a Bible program with an
Esperanto text, and especially a version of the program localized into
Esperanto, would provoke a SURPRISING amount of interest in the existing
Esperanto community among Roman Catholics (especailly now that the
Deuterocanonical books are available), Protestants, "cultists", and even
non-Christians.

I realize that in the weeks since you posted this, you may have discovered
much more and accomplished a lot toward the goal (or not). If you have time
to drop me a note and let me know about the status of the project, I'll at
least cheer you on. With my current financial/job situation, I hardly know
which way to run... and can't really make ANY committments of money or
time... But you'll definitely be in my prayers!

--Clyde

Clyde C. PRICE, Jr. h-678-393-1782, m-678-491-0469
email: <ccprice at bellsouth.net> or <Clyde.Price at CDLF.ORG>
11770 Haynes Bridge Rd., Suite 205 PMB 214, Alpharetta, GA 30004 USA
   Founder & President, the Christian Digital Library Foundation
<http://cdlf.org>. CDLF is looking for Scribes, Eager Readers, and other
friends to enjoy, distribute, and produce digital Christian books and other
resources to build up the Body of Christ.
   Vice President, Parakletos Ministries Inc. <http://www.parakletos.net>.
 PM seeks to support the ministries of local churches in building
evangelizing Kingdom-seeking disciples.
   "To know Christ, and to make Him known, as the Way, the Truth, and the
Life."

Featured Free Etext:
R.A.Torrey, _HOW TO WORK FOR CHRIST:
A Compendium of Effective Methods_. Including: Book.I. PERSONAL WORK;
Book.II. METHODS OF CHRISTIAN WORK, Book.III. PREACHING AND TEACHING THE
WORD OF GOD  <ahref=http://www.cdlf.org/ftp/Htwfcrat.zip>