[sword-devel] Afrikaans Biblebooks

Nico swd at nv.jakaranda.co.za
Sun Jul 18 23:01:25 MST 2004

Hi,

below my attempt to create an Afrikaans locale.

When naming the file, please remember that we have a multitude of official
(and even more unofficial) languages is South Africa for which there are
translations of the Bible, many complete, and many others partial.  If I
remember correctly the file should be called za_AF.conf

I'm not sure about the encoding.  We use the "circumflex" (^) and "umlaut" to
indicate syllables and accents where we dropped "unneccesary"  letters from
the original dutch word.  Then we use accents (eg é and è) from the french.
All the "modifiers" can be found on any of the vowels which are aeoiu in
Afrikaans.

Please comment.

The spelling I've used corresponds with the 1953 revision of the 1933
translation which is currently available on Sword.

I've been in contact with the South African Bible Society about the ethics of
limiting the free spreading of the Word of God  a few years ago and doubt if
any further attempts to get translations controlled by them into the open
domain will bear fruit. They are very commercially orientated.  Translations
will only become available when the copyright protection expires.

Regards

Nico

[Meta]
Name=af