[sword-devel] NET Bible

William Thimbleby wjt100 at york.ac.uk
Thu Jul 1 01:26:13 MST 2004

I was talking to David Puranen about the NET translation, and he knew
some of the people involved in the NET translation. This is what he
just emailed me:

> Hey, you know how we were talking about the NET translation?  Well
> turns out they really want to get it out for free software things :)
>
> The guy to talk to's e-mail is daustin at bible.org :)
>
> I believe someone actually said in the e-mail convo you gave me that
> they HAD made a NET module, so I imagine they're not that difficult to
> put together.  Since I think it might have been updated since then who
> knows.  But they certainly want to see it go through.  :)

Looking at the mailing list archives this is what I had found about the
NET bible:

> > I don't believe that the net bible is gnu, or public domain.
> > I believe there is a copywrite on it.
>

> Yup.  NET is not PD.  It's not available for non-commercial
> distribution.  As far as licensing goes, it's at least as restrictive
> as
> any other text I know of.  There are I believe only two software
> packages being allowed to license the text (Logos & OliveTree) and
> you're not allowed to copy the text from their webpage to post on your
> own webpage.
>
> >       I recieved a e-mail message from someone asking about
> > why we don't have the
> > NET Bible as a module. It is distributed for free from
> > www.netbible.org in
> > html format. Is it just the fact that it would take too much time to
> format
> > the text from HTML? The guy that contacted me is willing to help out
> in the
> > efforts of preparing the NET Bible HTML for a SWORD module.
>
> So, like I said, the NET is not very (libre) free and is not easily
> downloaded from netbible.org.  That said, I have the text in a pair of
> modules (a Bible for the text & a commentary for the notes) but don't
> expect it to be posted publicly soon, if ever.
>
> --Chris

I don't know what the state of the NET modules are, but this is worth
following up. Chris -- I don't know whether you want to do this, but
let me know if you don't

regards --Will